You will have heard that everything is vibration. The most tangible and obvious of which is sound. We can feel the vibration coming off a Hifi speaker or the low vibration coming from a cello or other musical instrument. Did you know that all physical seemingly solid matter is also in a state of vibration? More exciting is that this physical matter can be affected by sound. A wine glass can be shattered by playing its resonant frequency at a higher amplitude so as to excite the building blocks of the glass until it cannot contain itself any longer, and it breaks. The same applies when sound vibration is applied to viruses and bacteria at the correct frequencies. Most sound healing works by entrainment, which is a process of exciting the cells of the body back into their innate healthy vibration, therefore improving and healing the immune and the nervous systems. Sound healing also works by altering the field of energy that we generate by our bodies and our thoughts and emotions, thus shifting our perspective and dissolving stress.
I specialize in recovery support through sound healing. I provide natural healing through vibration using Tuning forks, Healing bowls, chimes and a monochord sound bed. This treatment is good for any post-op healing, recovery from illness or accident trauma, viral or bacterial infection, circulation issues, physical and / or emotional pain, stress reduction and much more. I recommend 4 to 5 consecutive sessions – which means one session a day for 4 to 5 days in a row – depending on the severity of the condition. Paralysis would need more sessions than a cold, for example.
Contact me for more information, to discuss your challenge, and to book your sessions.
“A fundamental principle of sound healing is that physical, emotional, and mental symptoms are being generated by an underlying energy field. Thus, if we change the energy field, then the physical, emotional, and mental behavior patterns will also change.”
Sound therapy uses audible sound frequencies that stand on their own for healing. Because these sounds are without content, harmony, rhythm or emotional colour, they amplify the right brain environment (the intuitive, creative, abstract) giving our mind relief from left brain analytical logical thinking. In this quieter space we can better listen to ourselves and recognize the important difference between hearing & listening.
Hearing is a passive experience.
Listening is a completely focused activity.
Alert listening is a deeply heart oriented activity.
The potency of sound can produce beauty and inspiration, or it can be destructive and shattering, violent and painful.
My Favorite article about sound healing is on the Foundation for Alternative and Integrative Medicine’s web page. The article is called “The Therapeutic Use of Sound in Alternative and Conventional Medicine” and is written by Eileen McKusick. It is one of the best articles I have read to date. You can read it here.
Sound healing has the remarkable ability to down regulate brain function from the activity of Beta waves to the deep and restful healing state of Delta waves. Sound healing creates a deep meditative state where by all thought stops, and the body can calibrate and heal itself unhindered by the mind. Even the subconscious mind gets out of the way, which is often an obstacle in healing.
Our state of mind is determined by our brain waves… Or our brain waves determine our state of mind. When our minds are working overtime dealing with stress or even just our day to day living, our state of mind and our energy is not conducive to healing, which happens when our minds slow down and we experience deep sleep. Below is a breakdown of the different brain waves and how they affect us.
Beta Brainwave Frequencies: 13-40 Hz
These are known as high frequency low amplitude brain waves that are commonly observed while we are awake and alert. They are involved in conscious thought, logical thinking, and tend to have a stimulating affect. It involves and active awareness of our outside world. Having the right amount of beta waves allows us to focus and complete school or work-based tasks easily. Having too much beta may lead to us experiencing excessive stress and/or anxiety. The higher beta frequencies are associated with high levels of arousal. When you drink caffeine or have another stimulant, your beta activity will naturally increase. Think of these as being very fast brain waves that most people exhibit throughout the day in order to complete conscious tasks such as: critical thinking, writing, reading, and socialization.
Too much: Adrenaline, anxiety, high arousal, inability to relax, stress, paranoia, worry, fear, hunger, depression, irritability, insomnia and moodiness. Associated with excessive “mental chatter” and self-destructive impulses. Too much time in the beta state weakens the immune system.
Too little: ADHD, daydreaming, depression, poor cognition
Optimal: Conscious focus, memory, problem solving, alertness, logic and critical reasoning.
Things that increase beta waves: Coffee, energy drinks, various stimulants
Bio chemicals released by the brain in Beta state:
1. Inhibits secretion of other hormones.
2. Decreases production of growth hormone.
3. Inhibits function of the right side of the brain.
4. High levels cause emotional instability.
5. Decreases rate of nutrient absorption during digestion.
6. Inhibits the secretion of insulin and glucagon.
1. Decreases production of growth hormone.
2. Increases cholesterol and blood pressure.
3. Effects flight or fight response, activating sympathetic nervous system to increase heart rate.
4. High levels of Noradrenaline cause: sleeplessness; loss of appetite; anxiety and irritation; depression.
Alpha Brainwave Frequencies: 7-13 Hz
This frequency range bridges the gap between our conscious thinking and subconscious mind. The alpha state is where meditation and relaxation begins. Here we are awake but deeply relaxed. We have access to a wealth of effortless creativity flowing just beneath our conscious state. Associated with a state of peak performance in athletes. Highly creative people have been shown to have “bursts” of alpha brain waves when they have good ideas. In the alpha state we learn, process, memorize and recollect large sums of information fast and with peak effectiveness. It helps us calm down when necessary and promotes feelings of deep relaxation. Alpha brain waves are present in deep relaxation and usually when the eyes are closed, when you’re slipping into a lovely daydream or during light meditation. It is an optimal time to program the mind for success and it also heightens your imagination, visualization, memory, learning and concentration. It is the gateway to your subconscious mind and lies at the base of your conscious awareness. The voice of Alpha is your intuition, which becomes clearer and more profound the closer you get to 7.5Hz.
Too much: Daydreaming, inability to focus, too relaxed.
Too little: Anxiety, high stress, insomnia, OCD.
Optimal: Relaxation, effortless sense of comfort, peace, and harmony. Best for “super learning”. Effortless creativity flows. Tranquility and calm.
Increase alpha waves: Alcohol, marijuana, relaxants, some antidepressants
Bio chemicals released by the brain in Alpha state:
1. A neuro transmitter.
2. Growth hormone.
3. Decreases cholesterol.
4. Decreases blood pressure levels.
5. Regulates secretion of pheromones.
6. Helps relieve anoxemia. (Insufficient oxygen to the brain.)
7. A deficiency of Acetylcholine is associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
1. A neurohormone and neurotransmitter.
2. Increase heart efficiency.
3. Increases renal blood flow.
4. Improves emotional states of mind.
5. Associated with the pleasure centres of the brain.
6. Important in Parkinson’s disease.
7. Important in psychosis.
8. Important in depression.
Theta Brainwave Frequencies: 4-7 Hz
This particular frequency range is involved in daydreaming and sleep. Theta waves are connected to us experiencing and feeling deep and raw emotions. Too much theta activity may make people prone to bouts of depression and may make them “highly suggestible” based on the fact that they are in a deeply relaxed, semi-hypnotic state. Theta has its benefits of helping improve our intuition, creativity, and makes us feel more natural. It is also involved in restorative sleep. As long as theta isn’t produced in excess during our waking hours, it is a very helpful brain wave range. It is said that a sense of deep spiritual connection and unity with the universe can be experienced at Theta. Children have strong theta brain waves, which helps to explain their superior ability to learn. Theta is briefly experienced as we climb out of the depths of delta upon waking, or when falling asleep. Sometimes long-forgotten memories come to the surface. The theta state is the deeper sub-conscious to super- conscious part of the mind.
Too much: ADHD, depression, hyperactivity, impulsivity, inattentiveness.
Too little: Anxiety, poor emotional awareness, stress.
Optimal: Creativity, emotional connection, intuition, relaxation, deeper into meditation, heightens problem-solving skills. Correlated with insight and intuition. Bring inspired thought and increased motivation. Insight, intuition, inspiration. Answers to important questions can be found. Feels like you are floating. A wonderful realm to explore. Dream like imagery. Good for problem solving. Feel more connected to others.
Increase theta waves: Depressants
Bio chemicals released by the brain in Theta state:
1. Regulates blood pressure.
2. Regulates the secretion of stomach acids.
3. Stimulates smooth muscle function.
4. Regulates mood.
5. Regulates sleep.
6. Helpful in the regulation of vomiting.
7. Regulation of sexuality.
8. Part of the biochemistry of migraine.
9. Part of the biochemistry of bipolar disorder.
10. Part of the biochemistry of anxiety.
11. Is synthesized from the amino acid tryptophan.
1. The master hormone.
2. A ‘pro-hormone’ that may inhibit or help the body regulate many other hormonal functions.
3. Controls the daily cycle of several endocrine hormones.
4. Regulates sleep cycle.
5. Improves mood.
6. Relieves symptoms of depression.
7. Increases heart efficiency.
8. Increases blood flow through kidneys.
9. Inhibits Hypertension.
10. Protects Nuclear and Mitochondrial DNA.
11. Regulates the production of most human hormones.
12. May reduce damage caused by some Parkinson’s disease.
13. May play a roll in preventing cardiac arrhythmia
14. May increase longevity.
15. Immunoregulator that enhances T-cell production.
16. Controls the daily cycle of several endocrine hormones.
17. Prevents insomnia.
18. Helps Jetlag.
19. Prevents misalignments of circadian rhythms.
20. May help in immune disorders.
21. May improve cardiovascular disease.
22. Useful in depression.
23. Useful in seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
24. Useful in sexual dysfunction.
25. Helps learning and memory.
26. In perimenopausal women it produces a highly significant improvement in thyroid function and gonadotropin levels.
27. May help restore fertility.
28. Helps prevent the depression associated with Menopause.
29. Preventative treatment for migraine sufferers.
30. Treatment of various forms of cancer, HIV and other viral diseases.
Delta Brainwave Frequencies: 0-4 Hz
The Delta frequency is the slowest of the frequencies and is experienced in deep, dreamless sleep and in very deep, transcendental meditation where awareness is fully detached. They are found most often in infants as well as young children. As we age, we tend to produce less delta even during deep sleep. They are associated with the deepest levels of relaxation and restorative, healing sleep. They have also been found to be involved in unconscious bodily functions such as regulating heart beat and digestion. A crucial state for renewal, healing, and rejuvenation. Strengthens the immune system. Adequate production of delta waves helps us feel completely rejuvenated after we wake up from a good night’s sleep, as it’s linked with deep healing and regeneration.. Delta is the realm of your unconscious mind, and the gateway to the universal mind and the collective unconscious, where information received is otherwise unavailable at the conscious level. If there is abnormal delta activity, an individual may experience learning disabilities or have difficulties maintaining conscious awareness (such as in cases of brain injuries).
Too much: Brain injuries, learning problems, inability to think, severe ADHD
Too little: Inability to rejuvenate body, inability to revitalize the brain, poor sleep
Optimal: Immune system, natural healing, restorative / deep sleep. Renewal, rejuvenation. Said to be the entrance to non-physical states of reality. Restoration, and health.
Increase delta waves: Depressants, sleep.
Bio chemicals released by the brain in Theta state:
Human Growth Hormone: (Somatotropin)
1. Metabolism of proteins.
2. Stimulates the growth of cartilage.
3. Stimulates bone growth.
4. Effects protein, lipid and carbohydrate metabolism.
5. Combats the weight loss and general wasting characteristic of HIV and cancer.
6. Used by body builders and athletes to increase muscle mass.